Monday, November 19, 2007

New law gives hope to abused women with undocumented immigration status

It's about time. Immigration and Customs Service has published a new rule allowing temporary authorization of undocumented aliens who have suffered from domestic abuse and are willing to assist the government in investigation and prosecuting the crime. It's not a permanent ruling, and it's certainly not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction in recognizing domestic violence as a crime and the rights of victims to accuse their abusers in a court of law without having to be concerned about their immigration status.

When I was in Australia a few years ago, I met and got to know a Pinay who was part of an underground network of sorts helping fellow Pinays who wanted to escape abusive marriages. The problem is far more prevalent than is reported, and it's certainly not confined to so-called "mixed marriages." I witnessed an aunt being physically battered by her husband when I was a kid, and no one said a word, despite the fact that her screams and the noise of her head banging against the wall could be heard all over the neighborhood. Although I was only nine, I did ask my other relatives if we should do something, but the attitude was basically, It's none of our business. And for the abused woman's part, the feeling is that you're married, for better or worse, and you suffer in the name of keeping the peace.

I'm glad to see that the American government is finally recognizing the sheer bullshit inherent in that untenable situation.

MRA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The US has recognized it, when will the Philippines? It's rather sad when our country has seemingly risen above gender inequality by having 2 female heads of state (how effective they were or are is a different story). But when it comes down to the family level, it's still the same-o, same-o.

I don't know of any women in my family who have experienced physical abuse. I do know aunts who have suffered emotional abuse due to their husband's extra marital affairs. And they can't (or won't) do anything about it.

P.S. Love the 'bullshit' line:)