Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ruffa Gutierrez and Kimora Lee Simmons

I don't know why, but I'm completely obsessed with Ruffa Gutierrez. Maybe it's because she reminds me of another heroine of mine, Kimora Lee Simmons, what with the big hair, the flashy personality, the obsession with couture and designer accessories, the modeling careers, the statuesque figures, the two daughters, the marriage to very wealthy men, the subsequent separation/divorce/annulment. Etc. Etc. Etc. Oh, and there's also Ruffa's ill-fated attempt at entrepreneurship in her husband's native Turkey. I think he basically bought her the Turkish franchise of Fashion TV, but then subsequently either lost it to someone else, or he let it go for reasons neither he nor Ruffa is sharing right now.

I saw Ruffa on ABS-CBN's Kokey show nearly every night that I was in the Philippines in September, and am still shaking my head as to what drew me to the telly during its airtime. I mean, preposterous story, horrible acting, embarrassing special effects (c'mon, people, could you at least try to be consistent with your camera work?), and, surprisingly, a really, really, really weak performance by said Ruffa. I mean, really.

My fascination with Kimora lies largely in my admiration for her as a powerful businesswoman in two very male-dominated industries (i.e., hip-hop and couture). She knows what she wants and is not afraid to ask for -- nay, demand -- it. I love that she's self-aware enough to know that she's loud, occasionally crude, ruthless, smart, financially savvy, demanding, materialistic, intimidating, and sometimes downright mean...and she doesn't apologize for it. Chikas, the girl's got balls.

Sure, she could be a little nicer sometimes. And yeah, she could probably survive with a few Louis Vuitton handbags less. Oh, and I guess she could be a little quieter.

But then again, would she have gotten to where she is now -- CEO of the US$750 million Baby Phat fashion empire -- had she been at all different? Somehow, I don't think so. And yeah, I actually love her loud, demanding, ruthless personality and would kill for her brains and financial savvy. And her Louis Vuitton collection. And her awesome self-confidence.

You see, I've none of those (although I do have a vintage Fendi, natch!) and have always wanted them. I've long been one of the billions of women who feel the need to apologize for their very existence, for no reason at all other than the fact that they're, well, women. Until we stand up for our right to a place at the table -- preferably at the head of the damn table -- we'll never be able to wield the kind of power that men seem to think is their birth right.

So you go, Kimora my girl. Shake that rich booty and show 'em how it's done.

And as for Ruffa... well, I think I just like the idea of her erstwhile fabulous life. But unlike Kimora's hard-earned wealth and power, Ruffa's was only borrowed, or at least gifted to her by her husband, who thus had the power to take them back (and did!). I still have hope that, perhaps, she can learn from Kimora's incredible work ethic and drive and create something big that will only be hers and hers alone. In the meantime, I'll just continue to wait and see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wellllll.....I agree with you regarding Kimora Lee Simmons, but Baby Phat was given to her too by her ex-husband. Of course, she put in the work to make it what it is today.

Marjorie said...

Greetings, lkofie! I'm sorry it took so long to respond to your comment! Thanks for visiting, though!

I agree, if it weren't for Russell, Baby Phat wouldn't have been Kimora's to nurture and grow. However, given KLS' incredible ambition and drive, I'm sure she would've found a way to create her own phenomenal business, much like the way Tyra and Heidi and Cindy have grown theirs. She's just one of those people you know should be running things, ya know? ;-)

Thanks again for visiting!

MRA